Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Obsession with Zoodles

So on my never ending journey to try and reduce the mass of my ass (like that? it rhymed)...I've recently become obsessed with zoodles; noodles made from zucchini.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push anything healthy on anyone...I drink wine while I make the zoodles and most likely reward myself with some sort of delicious desert since I just ate such a healthy meal (probably the reason I've had little ass shrinking success).  I just thought I'd pass along a few of my favorite recipes in case anyone else would like to give them a whirl.

I should start with you need to get yourself some sort of zoodle making apparatus; I use the Vegetti, that's right the "as seen on TV" product...and thus far I love it.  The only downfall is that you can pretty much only spiral zucchinis or cucumbers, there are probably other products that can do more. I, however, am not one for research so I just bought the first thing that came up on Amazon.

Anyways, the first lovely little dish I cooked up actually involved no cooking at all...it was a summer salad.  I peeled my zucchinis (2  or 3 depending on size) and then spun them around in the Vegetti, not gonna lie, I was super pumped about the skinny spiral zoodles that popped out the other side.  Next I halved some cherry tomatoes, I threw in some diced chili's from a can and tossed in a cup of feta cheese (I'm going to add in right now this is not an original recipe I found this shit on Pinterest and made any adjustments I found necessary).  The dressing was just as simple, 1/4 cup olive oil, juice from 1 lemon and then salt and pepper to taste.  Just toss the salad in the dressing and BAM...a healthy substitute for pasta salad that was pretty damn delicious.

The next dish I decided to try was the good old spaghetti and meatballs...because I LOVE pasta (and really and carbohydrate that is in my vicinity) and am always looking for something to substitute in for the noodles.  In the fall I become obsessed with spaghetti squash, but since that's not in season right now I had to find an alternative.  This was just as simple as making regular spaghetti...I used my handy Vegetti to spiral the zucchini (this time I just washed them and left them unpeeled) and then threw them in the microwave for about 2 minutes and DONE.  Just heat up your favorite sauce, toss on some balls (meatballs that is) and top with some parm cheese.

This is my kind of cooking, quick and easy.  I may attempt more challenging recipes down the road but for now me and my Vegetti are fine making whatever easy zoodle dishes we can find.  Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. You lost me when you referred to something called a "Vegetti" without a trace of sarcasm. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...you'll have to come over sometime and I'll show you how my Vegetti works ;P

    ReplyDelete